[PD] [PD-announce] ELSE 1.0-0 RC7 and Live Electronics Tutorial

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 07:03:40 CET 2023

ELSE 1.0-0 rc7 with Live Electronics Tutorial is out. These ELSE updates
are only happening this often to pair up with PlugData releases, which is
rocking hard (expect a PlugData release announcement soon) - btw, this
means I'm not really following my release plans towards a my release...

On breaking changes, I'm highlighting that I'm removing the recently added
support for pd-lua. It is still available in PlugData though! I couldn't
really get into it and Albert Graef is really active in its development. So
now plugdata users have to download it separately for vanilla, and yes, I
uploaded the latest version (0.11.6) to deken as well. I thought I could
maybe create my own pd-lua variant but I gave it up. I'd still like to
offer something like ofelia does, but it's way beyond my limits and way
down in my priorities. By the way, Albert also started porting ELSE to Purr
Data, check it out ==>
https://github.com/agraef/purr-data/releases/tag/2.19.2+ELSE

There are also many bug fixes and new features. Let me highlight that most
of my oscillators now have built-in "Soft Sync" capabilities! They can also
optionally take pitch in MIDI, which helps with exponential FM. As for new
objects, I'm including [beats~], a bpm detection based on aubio. Seb shader
also included a new [keycode] object that responds to computer keyboard
keys with layout independence and I'm using it for another object
([keymap]) that turns your computer keyboard into a MIDI keyboard input.

For last, I'm also including [plaits~], which is based on the PLAITS module
from Mutable Instruments. More clones from Mutable Instruments are coming
and I have to say I have big plans in 2023 to also design eurorack inspired
abstractions (like MAX's Beap and Automatonism). This should be a submodule
in ELSE and available in PlugData too, but will have its own name and
repository (it is called *Modular EuroRacks Dancing Along* *[M.E.R.D.A.]*).
I also have a new chapter in my tutorial about 'CV' (Control Voltage). So,
yeah, I'm going modular...

ELSE 1.0-0 RC7 is up on deken for Linux/mac/windows 64 bit versions. I'm
having issues building for raspberry pi (same for pd-lua) but can upload it
if someone helps me with that. Total number of objects is now 474 and total
number of examples in the tutorial is 498 (expect me to go beyond 475
objects and 500 examples in the next update). Here's a full changelog:
https://github.com/porres/pd-else/releases/tag/v1.0-rc7

If you've read this far, you probably care about this project of mine. May
I ask you then to consider supporting me on
PATREON --> https://www.patreon.com/porres?l=en

I promise to focus on issues and request from subscribers and this already
happened for this release, where I was able to improve [else/bicoeff]
thanks to 'Esa Ruoho'. I also promise to take motivation from patreon
support to keep collaborating to Pd Vanilla as well :) as in my tedious and
long revisions of the documentation and other stuff.

Cheers