[PD] Pd complete listing of internal Pd messages? - sending to the Pd window

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 20:42:51 CEST 2023

On Fri, 2023-04-14 at 17:39 +0200, Ingo wrote:

> I tried  the netpd-gui-dropdown . . .
> I installed netpd and the latest Pd vanilla.

Actually, you don't need a full netpd installation for [netpd-gui-
dropdown] to work. I thought it is a standalone abstraction and forgot
about:

> except for [netpd-mutex MXDROPDOWN].

that is just another abstraction to make sure that at most one instance
of [netpd-gui-dropdown] is active. [netpd-gui-dropdown] still works
without it, but user experience can get messy if many overlapping
dropdown are active.

> This has probably to do with the fact that I just created the help
> patch on
> the Desktop of my Windows machine where no externals are registered.

Of course - like with any other abstraction - you need to put it
somewhere where your patch finds it. Or tell your patch where to find
it with [declare -path <path-to-folder-containing-abstraction>]

> Looks pretty good and configurable.
> However, I did not see how to get a value from clicking on a menu
> item.

There is no outlet, the communication works through a send/receive
symbol specified by first argument.

[netpd-gui-dropdown $0.mydropdown]

[r $0.mydropdown]

[route selected]

[print] <- print what you selected with [netpd-gui-dropdown]

> Maybe it has to do with the missin [netpd-mutex MXDROPDOWN].

No.

> I could also not get any colors to change so far - only grey and
> black atm.

Send a message like 'select_box_color 800' to it. Please note that
color values use data structures color encoding:
  800 = red
   80 = green
    8 = blue

> I'll have to keep checking it out a bit further.

Also note, that when you increase the font size, you might need to
increase the height as well, like

[fontsize 16, height 20(

[s $0.mydropdown]

Roman