[PD] [leapmotion] how to get focus?

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 04:43:21 CEST 2023

Hi all. I'm  just circling back on this with an update after connecting
with rolf off-list. There was an issue on rolf's Windows machine that I
hadn't encountered in my Windows tests where application focus changes
weren't working as expected. Our setups were basically identical, but it
worked fine for me and only intermittently for rolf. I decided to sidestep
the need for application focus altogether by activating the
POLICY_BACKGROUND_FRAMES policy in the external. The new version of
[leapmotion] (0.2.4) that contains this update is available via deken for
Linux, macOS, and Windows. Further testing would be appreciated if anyone
is in the position to try it out.

And for anyone interested in this, I'll just say again that the
multi-platform and multi-hardware situation with LEAP has a lot of
potential for confusion. I was on a bit of a mission to make sense of it
all a few months back and still have a grasp on things if anyone needs
advice. The quick upshot is:

   - macOS: no support for the latest LEAP software (5.7.2) or the latest
   Ultraleap controller hardware. You can still use LEAP software 2.3.1 and
   the original Leap Motion Controller, but depending on your macOS version
   and hardware, you may have to resort to this annoying trick
   <https://forums.leapmotion.com/t/leap-motion-on-m1-mac-monterey/18535/3>.
   In Pd, use the [leapmotion] extern version 0.2.4 from deken.
   - Linux and Windows: LEAP software 5.7.2 is supported, which allows you
   to use both the original Leap Motion Controller and the new Ultraleap
   controller. In Pd, use the [ultraleap] extern from deken. If you want to
   use the [leapmotion] extern, you'll have to install the old 2.3.1 LEAP
   software. One reason to use the old software is that it features
   tool tracking and pre-defined gesture tracking. The newest API doesn't.