[PD] update on Gem for Apple Silicon?

John Harrison john.harrison at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 10 21:51:54 CEST 2023

We're approaching 3 years now since Apple released the M1 and there's no
Gem available for distribution on Apple Silicon that I'm aware of. I'm not
finding a lot of conversation about it on this list and when searching in
the Gem-dev list I found nothing.

I tried compiling Gem for Apple Silicon myself and to my surprise it
compiled and ran. There are some issues though. I didn't test
thoroughly but quickly playing with some examples I saw artifacts when
playing videos and general choppiness.

Is Gem for Apple Silicon on anybody's radar? I'm up for being part of a
team to get Gem on Apple Silicon if there's interest.

--
John
https://johnharrison.cc