[PD] Number atom box limits overstepped

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu May 11 16:37:15 CEST 2023

On 5/11/23 14:30, William Huston wrote:
> Joao,
>
> IIRC, some objects in pd-extended, like hsliders,
> would always respect the limits whether dialed-in, or
> when coming from an input.
>
> When i finally switched to vanilla, I noticed the same thing,
> limits were not respected on the inputs, and a lot of my patches broke.
>
> I don't know whether the "sensible" behavior was ever in the
> mainline branch, or only in -extended.

for me the "sensible" thing is to keep the GUI-objects as minimal as
possible.
that would mean, that they cannot be used for "filtering" (out-of-bound
values).
it's super-simple to just add a [clip 0 127] (or whatever) before or
after the slider to achieve the behavior you are looking after.
otoh, it is not *so* super-simple to build a patch that prevents a user
from dragging a numberbox out of bounds, so i understand why this
functionality is in. (it's of course possible).

otoh, the GUI objects are already full of various cruft (starting with
the possibility to set lower and upper ranges in sliders, and various
characteristics... ideally they would just output 0..1 and the user can
then map that to whatever they need).

but that is just my 2¢ (from a minimalistic POV).

masd
IOhannes