[PD] Number atom box limits overstepped

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu May 11 19:32:16 CEST 2023

Howdy all,

there is a changelog fr sorts included with the HTML docs. For Pd 0.46, it says:

"Bug fixes to IEM GUIs: sliders and radio buttons pass floating-point numbers through without limiting them to the GUI's range or resolution. Also, the toggle no longer resets its "value" (the nonzero number it outputs) when receiving numbers in messages. Set compatibility to 0.45 or earlier to get the old behavior (using "pd compatibility" message or a startup flag)."

This change brought the behavior of those GUIS to be in line with atoms and can be disabled, although it probably also disables other need things you might want.

I can't find the commit for this, but I think it came from Miller, so maybe he can weight in. In any case, someone could always examine and port the Pd-L2ork approach to further discussion...

> On May 11, 2023, at 4:54 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 08:30:01 -0400
> From: William Huston <williamahuston at gmail.com <mailto:williamahuston at gmail.com>>
> To: Jo?o Pais <jmmmpais at gmail.com <mailto:jmmmpais at gmail.com>>
> Cc: PD-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Number atom box limits overstepped
>
> Joao,
>
> IIRC, some objects in pd-extended, like hsliders,
> would always respect the limits whether dialed-in, or
> when coming from an input.
>
> When i finally switched to vanilla, I noticed the same thing,
> limits were not respected on the inputs, and a lot of my patches broke.
>
> I don't know whether the "sensible" behavior was ever in the
> mainline branch, or only in -extended.
>
> It would be nice if we could request the sensible behavior in a PD patch.
> I know it's always hard to change the behavior of an object w/o breaking
> compatibility with older patches.
>
> But it would be nice to be able allow a checkbox that says
> "enforce limits on inputs" (which is the sensible thing).
>
> BH

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>