[PD] [PD-announce] Pd 0.54-0 test 1 released

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 21 18:57:35 CEST 2023

Am 21. Juni 2023 12:42:25 MESZ schrieb Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>:
>I think min Tk version for macOS and tabs should be 8.6.10 or 11. We may possible also need an os version check, hopefully not.

My code explicitly checks for TclTk<<8.6.12 (and >= 8.6), so I think I tested and it crashed with 8.6.11.

To make things more fun, the TclTk included in the mac/stuff/ (which is the version that most people will get when building the app themselves) is one that crashed for me.
Luckily, the version that is used for the app distributed by miller (and built on the iem premises), is a newer one, that is known to work.
So most "users" should get a version that is good.

>The main thing to avoid is if anyone runs an older Tk 8.6, especially the buggy one that used to be included with macOS itself.

And please do not forget that we are still trying to support macOS versions (and possibly OSX versions) that are rather old and cannot use a newer TclTk.
Or there is some signing/notarization issue (eg Apple refusing to notarize binaries that also contain 32bit intel code).
The point is: it is not obviously simple to "just switch to the latest and greatest" if we want to keep our obsolescence doctrine.

mfg.sfg.jfd
IOhannes