[PD] [PD-announce] Pd 0.54-0 test 1 released

Miller Puckette mpuckette at cloud.ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 22 21:17:28 CEST 2023

On 6/22/23 11:50, Lucas Cordiviola wrote:
> On 22/06/2023 15:41, oliver wrote:
>> It seems to not overwrite the old installation completely,
>> or so it seems to me.
>

> I think you runned the *new* installer whithout a prior uninstall (and
> you overwrited files).
>
> The new installer will (in the future) warn you and ask you to
> uninstall first. but this warning is not happening if you have Pd <
> 0.54 installed.

I got a different ride... installing 0.54 on top of 0.53 the installer
did give me the option to erase the old one.  I tried it both with and
without the "uninstall" option and had no trouble either way.  Since the
new one will overwrite any files it needs, it shouldn't be strictly
necessary to uninstall 0.53 files that got renamed or removed in 0.54 -
they should just hang around but not do anything.  OTOH, if
"preferences" are left around from 0.53 to 0.54 that could potentially
cause trouble if something that was appropriate for 0.53 somehow crashes
0.54, which is what I think Oliver saw.  If that's true, the only way to
recreate Oliver's crash would be to re-establish the preferences he had
in 0.53 and then install 0.54 on top of it without "uninstalling".

Or perhaps something totally different from that was going wrong...?

cheers

Miller