[PD] Prototype for adding an object browser into Pd Vanilla's core

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 02:38:06 CEST 2023

Em seg., 13 de mar. de 2023 às 23:36, Alexandre Torres Porres <
porres at gmail.com> escreveu:

> Well, I made a PR, see https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/1917
>
> The current PR code now works with the current master but not in older
> versions. You can still use my test plugin which is online for tests and
> feedback.

Well, the test plugin doesn't work with the newly released 0.54 and was
already outdated, so I just removed it. I mentioned I don't have plans or
wishes to maintain this as a plugin anyway. The PR has been updated and
includes the new additions to 0.54 on the other hand.

I'm doing something similar for ELSE's objects and I've been testing it in
class and everything and it all works pretty great.

I'd like to ask other people testing this PR anyway, for general feedback
and just in case.

One easy way to test it though is just getting the tcl file, rename it as a
plugin and put it in your externals folder.

here's a renamed file for it attached.

 as long as it requires manually maintaining a database of any change
>>> in the objects, i strongly believe that the architecture ought to be
>>> reconsidered.

I understand the concern, but we discussed it in the PR and no easy and or
simple solution came up. So I hope this is considered as is, but further
changes can be made later when and if we have the framework for it.

Nonetheless, having to manually edit and keep track of things is already
needed for "help-intro.pd" and I've been already taking care of that for
the last 6 releases or so, I don't mind the minimal work load addition and
taking care of this in my usual documentation branch. This is literally
nothing compared to the work I'm having adding 'references' and maintaining
them.

cheers