[PD] version compile-time checks, was: Building ELSE for Pd Vanilla (here RPi OS 11 32-bit)

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 20:31:13 CEST 2023

To avoid bleeding-edge red, is the following not possible with externals?

#ifdef PD_MAJOR_VERSION >= 0 and PD_MINOR_VERSION >= 54
// multichannel code
#else
// non-multichannel code
#endif

Depending upon the code layout, you could also probably use some macros for lots of redundant stuff.

> On Aug 4, 2023, at 8:18 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 03:12:27 -0300
> From: Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>
> To: Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Building ELSE for Pd Vanilla (here RPi OS 11 32-bit)
>
> Em qui., 3 de ago. de 2023 ?s 16:46, IOhannes m zm?lnig <zmoelnig at iem.at <mailto:zmoelnig at iem.at>>
> escreveu:
>
>> Personally I think this is a bug in ELSE, and would file a bug that it
>> ought to be buildable against older versions of Pd (even if that means
>> that some functionality is missing).
>>

> I'm creating new objects for multichannel fun and adding multichannel
> awareness to old objects, right now there are over 50 signal objects that
> are multichannel aware (and counting).
>
> Without 0.54 you'll just have many errors trying to deal with
> CLASSMULTICHANNEL
>
> So yup, 0.54 is needed. Sorry I'm always on the bleeding edge

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>