[PD] Problem with this (involved) abstraction for XY

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Wed Aug 30 11:37:29 CEST 2023

> WHERE IS THIS CHANGELOG ENTRY TO BE FOUND?

HERE ARE THE RELEASE NOTES, WHICH INCLUDE THE MOST IMPORTANT (BUT NOT
ALL!) CHANGES: http://msp.ucsd.edu/Pd_documentation/x5.htm#s1

> how the hidden but essential donecanvasdialog settings / behaviour has changed.
To be clear: "donecanvasdialog" is an undocumented *private* message.
(It is sent from the GUI back to the core upon closing the canvas
property dialog.) The behavior may change anytime and it won't appear in
a changelog.

If anything, it is better to use the "coords" message instead because it
is used in Pd patch files and can be considered stable. However, there
are still pitfalls with this approach, so the only sane way is to use a
proper public message as proposed in
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/627.

> In all case, I hope this unexpected behaviour report is somewhat helpful.
Yes, it might be still interesting to know what has changed exactly
because there might be a regression. Can you come up with a minimal
reproducing example and open an issue on GitHub? Thanks!

Christof