[PD] MPE in Pd Vanilla?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 20:26:39 CEST 2023

Em qui., 26 de out. de 2023 às 13:36, Alexandre Torres Porres <
porres at gmail.com> escreveu:

> oops, I had sent the wrong link, I was referring to this
> https://github.com/DanielRudrich/pd_mpe
>
> And it actually looks like a very simple "Pd Vanilla like" object, we
> could use the same idea and structure and call it [mpein], and we'd also
> need a [mpeout] counterpart.

yup, this is really really simple. I couldn't compile, but there's a binary
to test and at first I could see how a simple vanilla abstraction could
handle it, BUT... there's one problem, note off velocity (aka release
velocity)! Apparently release velocity is a thing for MPE and we only have
note on messages with note on velocities (where a 0 note on velocity is
interpreted as a note off).

Other than in MPE, release velocity is not a real thing that controllers
actually use. I actually don't know of any modern one that has it and is a
proper MIDI keyboard controller, this only happened back in the 80s or
so... but it seems to have been revived for MPE!

So if working with abstractions is what we want for MPE management, we'd
need at least an object in Pd to give us a note off message, otherwise we
have to go crazier by making a much more complicated abstraction listening
to [midiin].

Maybe a 'release' or 'off'' flag to [notein] could do it? In which case it
only outputs note off messages with the release velocity instead of note
on! It'd do the trick and not even a new object would be necessary.

Or we work on a [mpein] object for vanilla that works with note on and note
off messages and if people need note off velocities outside the MPE, they
can tweak this object to get it.

I'm about to create a first external for ELSE that parses raw MIDI input
such as from [midiin] to MPE messages in a similar same way as the [mpe]
external works for now.

Cheers.