[PD] Relative Db measurement

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Sat Nov 4 10:05:22 CET 2023

* Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk> [2023-11-04 09:49]:
[...]
> confused about what is the best way to do that, the choices being
> [samphold] and [env]. So I'd also be interested in the best (most
> accurate) answer.
Andy, [samphold] as well as [snapshot~] do give you the amplitude value
of one single sample, which for audio signals is often in the range
between -1 and 1. [env~] will give you an dBRMS value (the mean of all
absolute amplitudes over a certain time window, converted to dB.

Was that your question?

I'rather be interested in the difference between [samphold~] and
[snapshot~]. They seem to almost do the same thing to me.

best, P