[PD] patching feedback loops in parent patch

Clemens clemens at chair.audio
Thu Nov 16 11:32:55 CET 2023

Hello there,

I noticed that pd handles delayed feedback loops a little bit odd.
Feedback loops seem to be only allowed within the sub patch that
contains the delay as well. When I patch the feedback loop in the parent
of the patch that contains the delay, pd complains with the usual error
message and doesn't give me audio output.

The screenshots below illustrate the issue.

No problem in this case. Everything fine.

I would argue this patch is functionally equivalent to the one above,
but it refuses to run.

Is this behavior intended?

Best wishes,
Clemens Wegener