[PD] Tips for compiling Pd 0.54-1 & Else 1.0-0 rc-10 external under a Fresh installation of RPi OS 12 Bookworm 64-bit

Linux Rouen Normandie linux.rouen at free.fr
Sun Dec 10 18:32:43 CET 2023

As of today both are not directly available, Pd 0.54-1 in RPi repos and
Else 1.0-0 rc-10 in Deken, so we have to compile them on our RPis.
Prior starting the Linux procedures you will have to add some packages
to a fresh RPi OS 12 64-bit (Release 5.1 December 2023) from its
Add/Remove Software.

1- Pd 0.54-1
Download its source: https://msp.ucsd.edu/Software/pd-0.54-1.src.tar.gz .
Then add some packages (in my case) to RPi OS from its Add/Remove Software:
- libasound2-dev,
- autotools-dev, and
- libjack-jackd2 + libjack-jackd2-dev, if you want to use JACK.
Follow the compilation and installation instructions found in this link:
https://msp.ucsd.edu/Pd_documentation/x6.htm .
Last but not least, in Pd menu -> Help -> Find externals -> Deken menu
-> Edit -> Preferences change Default platform: Linux-armv8-32 -to-
User-defined platform: Linux-arm64-32.

2- Else 1.0-0 rc-10
Download its source:
https://github.com/porres/pd-else/archive/refs/tags/v.1.0-rc10.tar.gz .
Then add some packages (in my case) to RPi OS from its Add/Remove Software:
- libfluidsynth3 + libfluidsynth-dev, and
- cmake + cmake-data.
Follow the building and installation instructions found in this link:
https://github.com/porres/pd-else#installing-else .

Everything is running smoothly, except my overclocked RPi 400 is
reaching its graphical ressource limits when using to much GOPs in the
same patch.

Thanks to IOhannes et Alexandre.
Joseph Gastelais