[PD] updates through deken and the [import] object

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Sat Jan 6 09:26:17 CET 2024

Hi list,

I am wondering if there are any considerations amongst developers to
allow the upgrade of externals/libraries through deken eventually?

I have just discovered the [import] library, described on [1] as "Aiming
to provide a simplified Python-style import for Pure Data, this import
object loads libraries as part of a patch. It will load anything that Pd
considers a library, including libraries that are defined by Pd loaders
like 'libdir'. "
Do I understand it correctly that it will automatically load externals
that are used in a patch without having to explicitly use [declare -lib
...]?

Oh, and [import] seems to be unavailable through deken, which makes me
believe that it is possibly an older project?

Thanks for all hints!

[1] https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/puredata-import