[PD] trying to test 'pdp library and 'pdp_scan~'

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jan 16 09:34:19 CET 2024

On 1/15/24 22:45, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> When reading about 'Scanned synthesis' in
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanned_synthesis I see about the [pdp_scan~]
> external from 'pdp', but I can't use it... I can still try extended in my
> machine and it didn't really work back then, I get
>
> Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/pdp/pdp.pd_darwin,
> 10): Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib

you need X11 for pdp. iirc, on macOS you can install it via XQuartz.

to quote from their homepage:
 > it forms the X11.app that Apple shipped with OS X versions 10.5
through 10.7.

which kind of explains why pdp worked with older versions of OSX, but
not with current macOS.

> Purr Data can't load it either.

obviously, you still need X11.

> The 'pdp' version in deken (0-0extended) doesn't work either and all print
> the same error.

as expected.

> I wanted to check this object out, does anybody know where the source lives
> and if we can try and compile it?

where all externals lived in the days of yore: the sourceforge SVN
<https://sourceforge.net/p/pure-data/svn/HEAD/tree/trunk/externals/pdp/>

a read-only git repository can be found at
<https://git.puredata.info/cgit/svn2git/libraries/pdp.git/>

the code hasn't been touched in 12 years, it probably won't compile on
modern systems.

Debian still provides pdp binaries, so there's a couple of patches that
allow us to build on this platform. find them at
<https://salsa.debian.org/multimedia-team/pd/pdp/-/tree/master/debian/patches>

these patches might be very Debian specific (solving problems that only
exist on this platform), i have no idea whether they might help building
on macOS.

and finally, there's of course the official homepage: https://zwizwa.be/pdp/

gmasdr
IOhannes