[PD] trying to test 'pdp library and 'pdp_scan~'

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 20:48:30 CET 2024

Em ter., 16 de jan. de 2024 às 13:26, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> On 1/16/24 17:12, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> > Em ter., 16 de jan. de 2024 às 05:08, cyrille henry <ch at chnry.net>
> escreveu:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> If you want to try scann synthesis, I suggest to try pmpd. specially
> >> example 47.
> >>

> > Running this in Extended now, it looks amazing. Do we really need Gem
> > though?
>
> not at all.
> Gem just does the visualiation, but the actual physical model runs
> within pmpd on the CPU.

I figured, but if you actually remove Gem, somehow, sound stops, so it is
part of the implementation somehow I guess.

> > As for pdp, it seems it tries to use the webcam or video sources and I
> > don't understand why.
>
> because it does something different.
> [pdp_scan~] will scan an image along a trajectory, and convert the
> traversed pixels to samples.
> it's not really what "scanned synthesis" is referred to in the wikipedia
> article and the like.

yeah, doesn't seem so, but it's gotta be related somehow, right?

> > Would love to dig more in it and provide an external myself but it looks
> > quite complex...
>
> or you could just use pmpd?
> i don't fully understand the benefit of re-implementing everything that
> is already out there.

I guess it depends on each case, sometimes (I actually think most of the
times) I do offer something different (with more features) and better
resolved, other times it's something simple that doesn't make much sense to
require a dependency, but nowadays, with plugdata, there's always an excuse
or actual requirement to add something (and I am thinking now of the time
and date alternatives that I didn't need or want myself, but someone
requested for plugdata).

cheers