[PD] trying to test 'pdp library and 'pdp_scan~'

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 23:35:43 CET 2024

Hi Cyrille, thanks for the detailed answers!

Em qua., 17 de jan. de 2024 às 05:48, cyrille henry <ch at chnry.net> escreveu:

> Since this example is very simple, you should already have figured that it
> use gemhead as a metronome. (for obvious synchronisation reason)

I hadn't, I see now why it stopped working without Gem, will try to check
it again sometime soon, but I've been very busy with an update of ELSE and
my Tutorial. Ben Wesh at the discord channel is on fire though, doing some
amazing things and developing some scann synthesis patches with pmpd, I
will ask him for help figuring this all out.

> >other times it's something simple that doesn't make much sense to require
> a dependency,
> adding a dependency to remove a dependency, is a strange way to remove a
> dependency! ;-)

In PlugData, ELSE is native, so it is not a dependency, and if people are
using ELSE and my tutorial, then it doesn't require yet another extra
dependency.

But anyway, there's a billion things in my to do list before I tackle any
of this.

Em qua., 17 de jan. de 2024 às 05:37, cyrille henry <ch at chnry.net> escreveu:

> from my experience, for complex movement and shape of the string, having a
> visualisation helps a lot. But it really depends on the way you play with
> it.

yeah, graphics are always nice eye candy :)

pdp_scan~ is not really a scann synthesis. But it's not very far, since it
> scann an array at sub-audio frequency.

cool, thanks, I will not consider it anymore as a source for scann
synthesis.

> all you need to explore scann synth is the pmpd lib and tabwrite / tabread~
> A scan synth external will be more limited that what pmpd + pd can already
> offer.

I see, it'd be a lower level solution that will always be more flexible and
versatile. I like the idea where I can offer something 'easy' and ready
made, then point people to the right patch if thy wanna get deep into the
rabbit hole. This looks like a good example.

by the way, Ben says there's a new pmpd version not up in deken yet, is
that it? When can we have it if so?

Now, while we're at it, let me share some other resources I found. Here's a
discussion in SuperCollider

https://sc-users.bham.ac.narkive.com/lYIbe3pZ/scanned-synthesis-in-sc

They use the simple native Spring class for it, and I've been having my eye
on that one, maybe one day including Spring and Ball/TBall into ELSE as
well (spring~ and ball~?), cause it also seems like a fun thing to control
several things in a patch.

Now let me see if I can get the main principal, is it like you have wave
table points that move according to spring like motions when excited and
evolving through time?

thanks
cheers