[PD] spring modeling/scanned synthesis (was: trying to test 'pdp library and 'pdp_scan~')

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 06:19:34 CET 2024

 Em sáb., 27 de jan. de 2024 às 05:00, cyrille henry <ch at chnry.net>
escreveu:

>  Now let me see if I can get the main principal, is it like you have wave
>> table points that move according to spring like motions when excited and
>> evolving through time?
>>

> it's the masses that move!
> if you want to understand more, look at :
> http://www.chnry.net/ch/IMG/pdf/-2.pdf

ok, the masses move, but they move according to a "spring like motion" as I
said and each mass represents a point in a wave table, right? Also, you
have a chain of masses and the last one (the last point in a table)
connects back to the first one, huh?

Anyway, just had some time to look back on this. And I've been checking
some Spring-Mass-Systems.

 I was checking the code of the Spring class in SuperCollider, I was able
to port it to Pd. See
https://github.com/supercollider/supercollider/blob/db7eed2a17c361503dbc7f70a557874b6001e3cd/server/plugins/PhysicalModelingUGens.cpp#L77
note the code says

*// some basic physical modeling ugens - julian rohrhuber 1/04// these are
very simple implementations with cartoonification aspects.*

And in fact, I was checking this other mass spring damper system
implemented in Max (that I also ported to Pd) and it seems a much more
robust system with more meaningful parameters based on actual physical
quantities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rFkZD51mT8

How do both compare to pmpd? Is there any canonical model or it's one of
those things that is a matter of taste and subject to things like desired
efficiency versus realism? Do any of you know of more models out there in
Pd or other computer music systems such as Csound, MAX, etc?

I've also been having fun with Sine Waves with exponential decay envelopes.
Like with the [decay~] object from ELSE which is like the Decay class in SC
- a one pole filter that you set a "t60" decay time in ms (time it takes to
decay 60dB). This way you have a good control on the frequency and decay
time. Another option is to just [resonant~] from ELSE, which is also like
SuperCollider's Ringz.ar, excited by impulses. This is a resonant 2nd order
filter that "rings" for a given decay time and frequency. How does this
compare to "Spring Models"? How is Spring "springer" than creating damped
oscillators with [decay~] and [resonant~]? Also, for reference, I found
this in Pd as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW7y5yb0YWQ that I am
relating to [resonant~].

Who's got more references?

Cheers