[PD] help making sense of [readsf~]

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 05:24:25 CET 2024

Hi, a discussion on facebook led me to revise the help file of [readsf~]
and I'm making some edits and changes. It seems it wasn't all to clear how
it works, making it seem it would load the file into an internal memory and
not just read directly from the disk, and in fact I'm not really sure how
it works.

Also, the help has been saying forever how one should open a file "a bit"
in advance, which is vague and it also doesn't make it clear why and how
long soon... it also says it starts reading from the file right away, but
doesn't play it until you say so... this is what makes it a bit confusing
to people I guess, cause it seems to load into memory. Now, I believe there
is some operation that is done in advance and then it adds some latency
maybe, so if you do it in advance you get to manage this a bit better, is
that it?

Can we have and add a bit more information about it?

Also, is it the case that this used to be a somewhat significant issue back
in the day, which means this has become not significant all for a while?

Last, but not least, I can't make much sense of the 2nd argument. I had a
look at the code to see what is the default value (which is also the
minimum allowed value), something I always put on the help files, and I
wonder if this is some kind of memory buffer that we load the file into...
Moreover, why would someone need a bigger buffer than the default value?

I need this information well sorted to make this help file as nice as the
others.

Cheers!