[PD] help making sense of [readsf~]

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 13:07:54 CET 2024

*This* is a good point and worth noting, not necessarily as a "always delay before playing" sort of thing but more a short description of how it works, then a note like "if you experience occasional dropouts on first accessing a file, consider adding a small delay after opening but *before* playing."

> On Mar 4, 2024, at 1:01 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:55:54 +0100
> From: Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com <mailto:info at christofressi.com>>
> To: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] help making sense of [readsf~]
>
> Actually, I forgot something important:
>
> Of course, the worker thread must also *open* the file! If the file is
> not yet cached by the OS, this can indeed take a few milliseconds.If you
> don't add some delay between "open" and "start", you might notice that
> you get a dropout the very first time, but not on subsequent times.
>
> In fact, if you don't wait between "open" and "start", the perform
> method almost certainly blocks. However, often we don't notice because
> it may be "absorbed" by Pd's own ringbuffer (= "Delay" in the audio
> settings).
>
> Anyway, I agree that the help needs some more clarification! (Just make
> sure you really understand how the object works before changing the help
> patch :)
>
> ?Christof

--------
Dan Wilcox