[PD] vcf~ producing output without input for 0Hz cutoff?

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Fri Apr 12 09:35:24 CEST 2024

Just expand on Antoine's post, let's look at the formula of Pd's 1-pole
lowpass filter:

k = freq * 2pi / sr

y[i] = x[i] * k + y[i-1] * (1 - k)

For freq=0 this becomes:

y[i] = y[i-1]

As you can see, this would just repeat the previous output infinitely,
ignoring the input altogether. There is no decay to zero!

The same reasoning applies to bandpass filters such as [vcf~].

Christof