[PD] vcf~ producing output without input for 0Hz cutoff?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 08:30:15 CEST 2024

Em sáb., 13 de abr. de 2024 às 06:30, Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com>
escreveu:

> Looking at [vcf~]'s help patch closer, I read that the filter's real and
> complex outputs may be combined to allow for other filtering possibilies
> than band-pass and low-pass. Does anyone have a quick example of such a
> combination?

I don't, and this information was there before I revised all help files. I
suspect Miller wrote this, but I can't see how this is helpful or
insightful information. This would not be something particular to [vcf~],
any filter can be cascaded or combined in parallel, and I guess this is
beter suited for the raw filters, that can be used and combined to more
properly design filters. I would vote for just suppressing this
information, unless someone convinces me there's a good point and example.

> I reckon that I make a highpass filter by subtracting the
> lowpass-filtered signal from the same unfiltered signal?

Well, this is not MAX, we do have [hip~] :)