[ot] [!nt] \n2+0\

Garry Kling klingg at cwu.EDU
Sun Jan 2 09:48:31 CET 2000

The examples of human rights violations by the US you are posting are
good food for thought. However, they are the tip of the iceberg. I would
cite US involvement in the lesser known slaughter of East Timorese by
the US installed Suharto regime in 1978. US Senator Daniel Moynihan, who
was the UN Ambassador during Suharto's "annexation" of East Timor in
1978 writes [Chomsky's paraphrase]:

"The United States wished things to turn out as they did and worked to
bring this about. The Department of State desired that the United
Nations prove utterly ineffective in whatever measures it undertook.
This task was given to me, and I carried it out with no inconsiderable
success." [Moynihan was well aware of how things turned out, noting that
within a few weeks some 60,000 people had been killed ]"10 percent of
the population, almost the same proportion of casualties experienced by
the Soviet Union during the Second World War."

(taken from Noam Chomsky "Year 501: the Conquest Continues", pp 133-4,
Cambridge MA, South End Press, 1993)

Moynihan boasted about his role in a massacre that he compares to the
exploits of the Nazis in a national publication. (NYRB June 28, 1990) No
one noticed, of course.

What the US government, cultural planners, and corporate interests do
inside the US only pales in comparison to their exploits abroad. The
depth and complexity of their thought control is astounding, and I
believe to cite the domestic human rights violations of our "democratic"
government distracts from real atrocities commited in the name of
"freedom" and "democracy" around the world and therefore aids and abets
the American thought control process.

But then again, I was unaware of the treaty you spoke of earlier.
Hmmmm...sounds familiar. Perhaps the Nuclear Test Ban treaty will ring a
bell? A very interesting fact that demands some serious consideration...

I apologize for the length and irrelavance to PD of this post, of
course.

Garry
klingg at cwu.edu