[PD] [ot] Sound card + freebsd

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Sat Mar 9 00:40:20 CET 2002

I read:
> Hi. I do have two questions somewhat pertaining to PD.
> I got a Dell PC that comes with built in Intel i8x0 sound card. I have to
> utilize that PC somewhat to run PD and Jmax. As far as I know, the alsa
> driver for this sound card does not provide MIDI support.

I guess (although I don't know this specific model) the problem is that
the laptop does not have a gameport. Otherwise you could use serial,
paralell or usb midi interfaces.

> First question. What sound card would you recommend such that it would be
> relatively inexpensive, provide alsa support for both MIDI and Audio and
> work fine with PD ?

most of them  are ok ask again when you have specific models or requirements
in mind

> Second question. Does PD (and Jmax)  run on freebsd or is it restricted
> to Linux, osX, Irix and Windows?

someone (Karl ?) did a bsd port some time ago, I compiled pd in summer on
a freebsd box basically by changing the endianess isues to 'it's like NT'

but you'll lose alsa and (maybe) usb midi support.

hope that helps,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)