[PD-ot] path

prims at wol.be prims at wol.be
Wed Oct 15 14:29:27 CEST 2003

hi

this is what the documentation says about installing pd in windows:
"Pd is compiled under NT, but should work under any version of Windows since
95. Pd will appear as a "zip" file. Unzip this, creating a directory such
as \pd. (You can put it wherever you like but the path should have no spaces
in it; so "Program Files" would be a bad place.)"

greetings

Thurstan hat gesagt: // Thurstan wrote:

> The 'PD search path for patches and other files' menu is not clear to me.
> It contains a line with G:/Program Files/pd/extra/
>
> When I close it and open it again it containts two lines:
>

>G:/Program
> Files/pd/extra/
>
> This is due to the space I quess. When I then restore the first line
> and add "" like so: "G:/Program Files/pd/extra/" the path-menu will not
> open anymore.

This looks like a bug.

> When does PD use this
>path-search function anyway? Because when I
> click on 'open' it still opens the 'bin' folders.

The search path has another function: It tells Pd, where to look for
objects (externals or abstractions) that are not built-in in Pd. All
those *.dll
>iles in pd/extra/ for example can only be used it you
have this directory in you Pd search path.

> Greets and sorry for all these novice-questions.

We all were novices once. Those questions aren't off-topic at all, so
you should post them to pd
>list instead of here.

ciao