[PD-ot] Art: To GPL or not to GPL?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 15 16:18:52 CET 2003

Hallo,

CK hat gesagt: // CK wrote:
> The more pressing issue IMO is that in the 'art world' if you are working
> in a field that seldomly yields a tangible artefact (as opposed to pretty
> oil paintings) your credit is entirely based on the reception of your
> work and not on gallery sales

First: I am no artist, at least not a professional one. ;)

But is my impression correct, that media art isn't really sold, but
more done for hire? Like, some institue comes along and tells someone:
Please make us an impressive installation, and we pay you.

This wouldn't be that much different from the way, some open source
software developers earn their money. You gain reputation while
working on, say, the Apache webserver and then someone, who needs to
setup a customized webserver, asks you to do that, for money.

At least that's how I earned open source money once...

ciao