[PD-ot] Art: To GPL or not to GPL?

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Mon Dec 15 16:52:18 CET 2003

I read:
> But is my impression correct, that media art isn't really sold, but
> more done for hire? Like, some institue comes along and tells someone:
> Please make us an impressive installation, and we pay you.

I think this is by no means a practice exclusive to media art, contemporary
composers pay their rent by writing commissioned pieces, conceptual artists
go on (slightly paid) residencies and produce documentation about their
work. Even a lot of fine arts people that are regarded as highly successful
are commisioned by museums to make a sculpture and probably make most of
their living income by teaching or giving lectures.

> This wouldn't be that much different from the way, some open source
> software developers earn their money. You gain reputation while
> working on, say, the Apache webserver and then someone, who needs to
> setup a customized webserver, asks you to do that, for money.

I guess these two things have more in common and are less different (at
least on a economical level) then one might think at first.
see http://www.paulgraham.com/hp.html

take care,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)