[PD-ot] Art: To GPL or not to GPL?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 17 15:21:46 CET 2003

On Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003, at 19:30 Europe/Brussels, RTaylor wrote:

> The label "Hans-Christoph Steiner" hathe been affixed to this message,
>> On Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003, at 13:24 Europe/Brussels, Frank Barknecht
>
>>> If you want attribution as well, there are ways to ensure this,
>>> in the CC Attribution license this is made very clear, but I guess,
>>> this is possible with GPL'd work as well.
>>
>> No, the GPL specifically does not have an attribution clause because
>> of
>> the problems that such a clause caused with the BSD license.  RMS is
>> in
>
>  How do you display a copywrite notice without an attribution?
>
>  You're thinking just the ©?

For a more complete explanation of what I mean, check out the old BSD
license with the attribution clause.  If I released a score to a piece
of music under the GPL, then anyone could perform it without giving
credit in the program, advertising, etc.  An attribution clause, says
that whenever the piece of work in question is mentioned, or anything
that uses it, attribution must be giving in ads, published materials,
etc.  This is very different than just leaving the copyright intact
with the name on it.

.hc