[PD-ot] Art: To GPL or not to GPL?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Dec 18 20:09:59 CET 2003

On Thursday, Dec 18, 2003, at 04:36 Europe/Brussels, RTaylor wrote:

> The label "Hans-Christoph Steiner" hathe been affixed to this message,
>
>>>  You're thinking just the ©?
>>
>> For a more complete explanation of what I mean, check out the old BSD
>> license with the attribution clause.  If I released a score to a piece
>> of music under the GPL, then anyone could perform it without giving
>> credit in the program, advertising, etc.  An attribution clause, says
>> that whenever the piece of work in question is mentioned, or anything
>> that uses it, attribution must be giving in ads, published materials,
>> etc.  This is very different than just leaving the copyright intact
>> with the name on it.
>
>  In other words you want CREDIT. ... Like "Nigel Rathbone's Tales of
> Trailers"
> or "Marimba Freidkiens Kitchen Sexuality".
>
>  Somehow that just doesn't seem to be in keeping with the concept of
> open
> source. It also strikes me as being overly pretentious... Like I'd be
> much more
> likely to simply use your idea and write my own code. {Like most
> everyone else
> would.} If I were to attribute someone that heavily it would be out of
> respect... not because of some clause in a contract...
>
>  I've always seen that sort of thing as a sort of way of sucking off
> of the
> authors reputation in order to advertise a product, anyway.  Why don't
> you wait
> until you have one and then re-negotiate your contract?
>
>  I mean... Take a look at the posters here...
>
> http://www.ricksmovie.com/

Before you launch into minor tirades, I suggest you read what I have
been writing a little more closely.  I have said all along that all of
my software is released under the GPL, therefore no attribution clause.
  What I am trying to get at is to apply free software ideas to other
realms, like a musical score for example.  A musical score is not
software so there is a good chance that the license issues will be
different.

.hc