[PD-ot] Art: To GPL or not to GPL?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Dec 21 15:11:22 CET 2003

On Thursday, Dec 18, 2003, at 20:26 America/New_York, RTaylor wrote:

> The label "Hans-Christoph Steiner" hathe been affixed to this message,
>> On Thursday, Dec 18, 2003, at 04:36 Europe/Brussels, RTaylor wrote:
>>> The label "Hans-Christoph Steiner" hathe been affixed to this
>>> message,

>>>  In other words you want CREDIT. ... Like "Nigel Rathbone's Tales of
>>> Trailers"
>>> or "Marimba Freidkiens Kitchen Sexuality".
>>>
>>>  Somehow that just doesn't seem to be in keeping with the concept of
>>> open
>>> source. It also strikes me as being overly pretentious... Like I'd be
>>> much more
>>> likely to simply use your idea and write my own code. {Like most
>>> everyone else
>>> would.} If I were to attribute someone that heavily it would be out
>>> of
>>> respect... not because of some clause in a contract...
>>>
>>>  I've always seen that sort of thing as a sort of way of sucking off
>>> of the
>>> authors reputation in order to advertise a product, anyway.  Why
>>> don't
>>> you wait
>>> until you have one and then re-negotiate your contract?
>>>
>>>  I mean... Take a look at the posters here...
>>>
>>> http://www.ricksmovie.com/
>>
>> Before you launch into minor tirades, I suggest you read what I have
>
>  Why are you expecting a tirade?
>
>> been writing a little more closely.  I have said all along that all of
>> my software is released under the GPL, therefore no attribution
>> clause.
>>  What I am trying to get at is to apply free software ideas to other
>> realms, like a musical score for example.  A musical score is not
>> software so there is a good chance that the license issues will be
>> different.
>
>  Yeah. Same deal... what I see you wanting is something more than most
> folk
> expect. ...Like Stephen King or someone. They put his name on stuff so
> they can
> sell it... His name is as much the product as the product. I don't
> know who
> "Hans-Christoph Steiner" is outside of this thread... Your name is not
> a selling
> point.
>
>  Take a look at some music sites... think about how much credit an
> author
> actually gets {frequently the only place someone will be credited is in
> parenthesis next to the song name on the disk label.} What I see you
> wanting is
> is going to be going to be "difficult" for everyone involved... It's
> like
> you're expecting other folk to advertise you. If you're not involved
> with the
> actual project I don't see why you think you're entitled to more than
> any other
> author.

Actually, all I am asking for is to attributed just like Stephen King
is.  You cannot get his writing in a format that does not have his name
on the front of it.  But the key difference is that I would like to
release everything open source with the hope that others will as well.
The CC Attribution license ensures this, but I think that attribution
clauses can cause big problems in open source work in the long run.

.hc