[PD-ot] Art: To GPL or not to GPL?

RTaylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 21 23:58:54 CET 2003

The label "Frank Barknecht" hathe been affixed to this message,

>Sampling in pop was common, when "white men" "sampled" "black men's"
>music (Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Stones, Sinatra,...) and it became
>illegal, when that was tried to turn around (Biz Markie!).

 I don't see stealing entire songs as equivalent to sampling. I see sampling as
using a few notes or bars of an audio file {that don't actually retain any
significant part of the sampled songs structure} mixing it into other "samples"
and synthesizing something new from it.

>And then MJ bought the Beatles songs...
>
>Go figure...

You really gotta' wonder what he's done with them...
--
Could you be the one they talk about?
Hiding inside, behind another door?