[PD-ot] Art: To GPL or not to GPL?

RTaylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Mon Dec 22 21:25:37 CET 2003

The label "IOhannes zmoelnig" hathe been affixed to this message,
>.n++k wrote:

>> assuming you're not joking,
>actually i was.

>> he meant delays more like 1ms and below
>> (down to around the resolution of a sample, which is not anymore a
>> delay, but a filter)

>which is plain wrong.
>a delay of 1sample is nothing but a delay of 1ms (and sounds exactly
>like the original signal, but a little bit later)
>you can test this with [z~] object of zexy. (and yes, i know how what a
>IIR-filter is)

 If you superimpose copy a onto copy b you start getting changes. {Or are you
thinking that's just twice the violation?} your audio bit no longer says "bump
bump bump bahh de ba dumph" It says "bumphadabumphadabumphadadedumph"
which is no longer plagaristic.

If you have 3 samples... "bumphadabumphadabumphadadedumph", "dede de dede de
dede" and "bippittybopdebopde bop" respectively and you crossfade samples 2 and
3 onto the beginning and end of sample 1 you get something like:

 "dede de dedebumdephadebumphadabumphabipdadedupithybopdebopde bop"

 If you put a reverb on this {so as to get it to blend better} you get:

 "dededudedudedebumdaphadebumphadabumphabeepdadadueeithybopdobopdubopp"

 {Keep in mind that in addition to doing this in my head I'm limited by 7 bit
asciis lack of half-height letters... the above may be off by a little bit.}

 Which even the least discerning of us is hardly going to mistake for "bump bump
bump bahh de ba dumph". Changing the pitch and tone is going to complicate
matters even further. I'd show you but I don't think the English language offers
the proper terminology. {Just one of the reasons you can't really apply this
sort of thing to the concept of source code}

If you walk into a courtroom and try to tell a judge that

""bump bump bump bahh de ba dumph"
 =
"dededudedudedebumdaphadebumphadabumphabeepdadadueeithybopdobopdubopp""

...he's going to be pissed at you for wasting his time.

>i just wanted to point out, that the argument didn't make sense to me.

 Better?

>and: i think there is a legal definition of how much of the original
>sound has to be preserved/discarded to (not) make a new piece out of an
>another one with(out) violating others' copyrights.

 From what I can find there no longer is. {If there was ever anything precise.}
 --
Could you be the one they talk about?
Hiding inside, behind another door?