[PD-ot] how would you describe how something sounds?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 22 17:19:16 CEST 2004

I am not so much interested in sound morphology or mapping words to
certain timbres.  I am currently looking into how the perception how
timbre has changed since the seminal papers on timbre perception were
written in the 70's (Wessel 1978, Grey and Gordon 1978, etc.).  In
particular, since those researcher used only timbres from the Western
Classical tradition, I think its likely that their research represents
a narrow segment of the population.

Just as the bulk of the evidence says that no tuning system is innate
to humans, but instead a product of acculturation, I think that some
aspects of timbre perception are also a product of acculturation.  When
that research was done, basically no one grew up hearing synthesized
tones from early childhood.  These days, that is not only entirely
possible, but quite likely.  And there are probably even some who have
been immersed in computer and electronic music since they were a child.

So as an indicator of this, I thought it would be interesting to see
what kind of words people use a lot when they are talking about timbre.
  The main words I hear from the Classical tradition are "brightness",
"warmth", "breathiness", "bite".  I think that the only one of these
words that I hear from electronic musicians is "warmth", but not that
much.  Words like "crunchy", "fat" ("phat"), "thick" are more common
there, in my experience.  To me this points to a different perception
of timbre (but is not evidence enough to prove it).

.hc

On Thursday, Apr 22, 2004, at 04:27 America/New_York, Thomas Grill
wrote:

> Hi Hans-Christoph,
> just two important researchers in the field of sound-morphology:
>
> Pierre Schaeffer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Schaeffer
>     "Solfege de l'objet Sonore" (french) -
> http://www.ubu.com/sound/sch.html
>     theories (french) -
> http://www.olats.org/pionniers/pp/schaeffer/theorieSchaeffer.shtml
>
> Denis Smalley - http://www.city.ac.uk/music/denis1.htm
>
> best greetings,
> Thomas

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams