[PD-ot] Opinion request: MIDI Keyboards - EDIROL PCR-A30 / Evolution MK-425C / etc

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue May 4 14:13:06 CEST 2004

Hi,
Nick Morrison <nickm at internode.com.au> wrote:
> I've decided to take that exciting step of buying my first ever MIDI
> controller / keyboard.  (!!)
>
> The one that's caught my eye is the Edirol PCR-A30.  It has lots of
> knobs and sliders, a small (32-key) keyboard (but I'm not a pianist -
> I'll be using it to articulate chords, and not much more) and
> 24bit/96khz USB Audio.  It seems pretty damn cool.
>
> The other brand I've been pointed towards is Evolution - and I suppose
> the model I'd be going for would be the MK-425C.  It's not as featureful
> (just knobs, and 28 keys), but is a lot cheaper.
>
> If anybody has any opinions on either of these keyboard / knob / slider
> MIDI controllers, I would greatly appreciate hearing them!

I cannot really comment on the keyboards, but personally I would not buy
one with audio inside but use a dedicated audio device. I don't think,
USB1 audio has a big future. Sooner or later you will want to replace the
audio part with something more powerful like Firewire, USB-2.0 or a real
card. Then you cannot sell the audio part of your device, because it's built
in. Built-in USB-midi is great, though.

You didn't say which operatin system you use, BTW.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht                          _ ___footils.org_