[PD-ot] Opinion request: MIDI Keyboards - EDIROL PCR-A30 / Evolution MK-425C / etc

Nick Morrison nickm at internode.com.au
Tue May 4 15:53:27 CEST 2004

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>I cannot really comment on the keyboards, but personally I would not buy
>one with audio inside but use a dedicated audio device. I don't think,
>USB1 audio has a big future. Sooner or later you will want to replace the
>audio part with something more powerful like Firewire, USB-2.0 or a real
>card. Then you cannot sell the audio part of your device, because it's built
>in. Built-in USB-midi is great, though.
>
>You didn't say which operatin system you use, BTW.

Thanks for your comments!

The most useful thing I can see about the USB1.0 Audio part is that it
will easily act as a second sound device, meaning I can mix two audio
streams from one machine - good for playing a quiet ambient track where
quality isn't necessarily tantamount.  But you you make a good point.  I
will be using my existing sound card (SB Live for now) for dsp sound
output, assuming it has better quality.

I'm using Windows XP and Linux/FreeBSD, with a view to moving to MacOSX
in the not-too-distant future.

Nick