[PD-ot] M-Audio Quattro blah.

Ian Smith-Heisters heisters at 0x09.com
Mon Jun 21 03:48:08 CEST 2004

I suppose this would be better on linux-audio list, but I'm not a member
there and I thought I'd see if any one here knows first.

I just bought an M-Audio Quattro that I thought, for some reason, would
work fine in Linux. After compiling a new kernel (2.6.6), applying the
third patch from Allen Stern on the linux-audio list (I heard the first
two of the three were integrated into 2.6.6), loading snd-usb-audio, and
using the .asoundrc from alsa-project.org's ez-usb (heh, ez... right)
page, I can finally get audio out of the card. I don't have any idea
what sample rate or bit depth it's running at, because I can't get Jack
to work yet, and I may be frying all its ever-so-delicate innards as we
speak.

The problem now is that there doesn't seem to be any way to change the
volume. When I configure the ALSA output in XMMS (I'll get around to the
issues I'm having with PD when I've got this part figured out) I have
two choices for the interface, Quattro and Quattro #1. If I select
Quattro the volume is a good, loud level that doesn't change. When I
select Quattro #1 the volume is barely audible and unchangable. By
unchangeable I mean that the gnome-volume control has a tab for
usb-audio with no sliders, alsamixer returns 'no mixer elems found', and
XMMS's volume control doesn't do anything. In windows the system volume
control is frozen but all the software volume controls work fine.

Any way, just thought I'd take a shot in the dark, as I figure someone
else on the pd-list should have run accross this little MAudio beastie
in their travels and might have some tips for getting it fully operational.

Thanks,
Ian Smith-Heisters