[PD-ot] OT networking hubs ?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jun 29 17:08:30 CEST 2004

mark Allan wrote:
> greetings list
>
> id love to network several computers running puredata OSC , but i have
> no experince of networking other then what i have learned with puredata
> and the likes running on 1 machine ..
>
> i presume i need some sort of hardware hub device to communicate to a
> batch of machines ?
> dose anyone here have experience networking several computers for use
> with puredata ?

as we are living in times of the internet, the risk of "nasty pitfalls"
is rather low.
what you need is:

> if so could you perhaps point me in the direction of what hardware i
> might want to look at?
x computers (with network cards: any "normal" network card should do; as
  linux is primarily used for networking issues, chances are very, very
low to purchase an unsupported network-hardware (probably there might be
problems if you tend to buy super-dooper all of the newest 10GBit-cards
- but even some of these are supported)
x network cables (normal cat5; NON-crossed-over)
1 hub/switch (or several if you have *many* computers)
power-supply for everything

> or even a place i could learn more about the ins and outs of networking .

have a look at /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes