[PD-ot] NIME05 Report

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 3 00:01:12 CEST 2005

(I cc'ed the list since I think this is of general interest)

On Jun 2, 2005, at 4:24 PM, Sylvain wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> First I have one question : do you know where the nime 06 will take
> place ? (there no notification on the site). I am intending to do a
> PhD next year so I would probably apply to it for the reason who
> noticed. I find this conference pretty open space.

NIME06 is at IRCAM in Paris.  Where are you thinking of doing a Ph.D?

> Second, I think that conference like icmc are useful also for academic
> research coz it's the place where scientist can present next advances
> in techno and algo that are making science go further. And it's a way
> for the scientist to get recognition of their work inside academic
> world. I think that both have to exist.

I totally agree with you, there should be a forum for such work, and
ICMC is good for that.  My objection is that ICMC is very closed to the
world outside.  Try to get your hands on the proceedings for example.
Both Columbia University and New York University don't have the
proceedings from 1999 to the present.  These are both large
universities with music technology departments.  If this stuff isn't
available at such institutions, where is it available?  I guess only to
the people who go to the conference.  You can get digital access via
the ICMA website if you pay for a membership, but that only goes to
2001.  I could buy the proceedings for $87 each, but the NYU library
said they bought them and are still waiting for them.  So, as an ICMC
outsider, I am locked out from the recent activity.  (ok, I am done
ranting... ;)

.hc