[PD-ot] setting up ubuntustudio

Davide Morelli info at davidemorelli.it
Fri Feb 17 11:46:50 CET 2006

strange, i've pasted many lines without problems..

going on with this little HOWTO-pd-on-ubuntu:

yesterday I've compiled pd and gem. I had to apt-get install gcc g++ automake make autoconf etc... (sorry i cant' remember the complete list) to get a compiling environment

then pd specific:

sudo apt-get install tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev

then I installed stuff to get sources from CVS and SVN

apt-get install cvs subversion

then I checked out pd from CVS

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co externals

then I moved into the pd/src and
./configure
make

and got a nice uptodate pd version

now for gem:

sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev libjpeg62-dev libtiff4-dev libmpeg-dev libavifile-0.7-dev libmpeg3-dev libquicktime-dev

cd ..
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.gem.iem.at:/cvsroot/pd-gem login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.gem.iem.at:/cvsroot/pd-gem checkout Gem GemLibs
cd Gem/src
./configure

if you make now you'll get this error

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/davide/CVS-gem/Gem/src/Pixes'
g++ -c -fPIC -g -O2 -freg-struct-return -O3 -fno-builtin -falign-loops=16
-funroll-loops -ffast-math -mmmx  -I/usr/include/quicktime
-I/usr/include/avifile-0.7   -I..   recordQT4L.cpp -o recordQT4L.o
recordQT4L.cpp: In member function 'virtual int
recordQT4L::putFrame(imageStruct*)':
recordQT4L.cpp:173: error: 'lqt_add_video_track' was not declared in this
scope
make[1]: *** [recordQT4L.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/davide/CVS-gem/Gem/src/Pixes'
make: *** [Pixes] Error 2

my workaround is this:

cd Pixes
mv record.cpp record.cpp.removed
mv recordQT.cpp recordQT.cpp.removed
mv recordQT4L.cpp recordQT4L.cpp.removed
cd ..

now I could do

make

and have a nice Gem.pd_linux

if you want to use QuickTime then you may want to avoid this workaround, see this thread:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/gem-dev/2006-02/001601.html
and follow IOhannes' hints

ciao,
davide.