[PD-ot] OS/PD/HD BACKUP

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Feb 18 19:24:31 CET 2006

Hallo,
J_J_FUX hat gesagt: // J_J_FUX wrote:

> hello readers of Pd off topic list.
>
>   i use older machines (1 to 2GHz)using debian to run PD , there
>   only purpose is puredata synthesis .the PD version and OS i have
>   will never change on those machines as they function perfectly and
>   are required to function that way for as long as the
>   chip's/board's last .
>
>   however since PD and its OS are held on mechanical magnetic
>   storage devices they can meet death quite often .
>
>   im looking for a way to preserve an image of the HD/OS's holding
>   PD onto DVD's?
>
>   could this be done by using another HD with debian installed and
>   some sort of HD image software ?. this is something i know nothing
>   of but have heard rumors of ways to make HD images from people in
>   office IT who work with windows .
>
>   any feed back would be greatly appreciated , apologies of this is
>   well off topic and thanks for any consideration of my off topic
>   problems .

This is very off-topic and a such a perfect topic for this list. ;)

What you want to do is pretty common backup stuff. Some URLs to read
for more info:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Simple_snapshot_style_backup
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Backup
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO/
http://gradha.sdf-eu.org/textos/dar-differential-backup-mini-howto.en.html

$ (insert and mount USB media that is big enough to hold your disk)
$ dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/media/yourdisk/backup.img

Ciao