[PD-ot] OS/PD/HD BACKUP + PD LIVE OS

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Feb 19 16:13:35 CET 2006

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> i couldn't get the nv driver running on my machine for longer than 2
> minutes without graphics problems ... otoh, the nvidia drivers are easy
> to install, use and rock-solid

But are you sure, they will still run in two years?

> i don't see any problems with using a closed-source driver, if there is
> no open source driver available / usable ... it's better than having no
> driver at all (which unfortunately is far more common in the linux
> world).

If people happily buy from vendors, who don't supply specifications
for their hardware, then why should the manufacturers change their
habit of keeping everything secret and closed up?

I only buy hardware with open source drivers. I understand, that
sometimes this is not possible for some people, but whereever it is,
linux customers should beware. Closed-source vendor drivers are a
trojan horse. I would never let it enter my town.

Ciao