[PD-ot] ./configure

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 22 20:44:15 CET 2006

Hallo,
hard off hat gesagt: // hard off wrote:

> > Congratulations!
>

> thank you.  felt pretty good to get it up and running.
>

> If you're running your Tascam still: USB soundcards don't like uneven
> > samplerates. Try using 48 kHz instead of 44.1 kHz.
>

> actually, i tried an old USB soundcard, edirol UA-1A ...worked instantly
> with whatever drivers i had already installed.
>
> the tascam still has some issues...i will figure them out soon hopefully.
>
> why are you saying that about the sample rates?  i never had any problems
> with that in os X... is it a linux specific thing?

It's an ALSA specific thing, however it seems, that this was sorted out
in the meantime [1], so you can ignore my message. (It had to do with
the fact, that USB audio packets are generally transfered in blocks of
a constant duration. Quoting Clemens Ladisch again:

"One USB frame is 1 ms, but the number of samples per USB frame varies
if the sample rate isn't an integer multiple of 1000.  E.g., at 44100
Hz, each USB frame has 44 samples, with one out of ten having 45." [2]

> also, all my samples 44.1 and all my patches just assume 44.1

This shouldn't matter for handmade players. E.g. if you load a 44.1
kHz file of 1 second into a table, you will have 44100 samples. If you
play this with tabread driven by line~ like [0,44100 1000( it will be
played at its original pitch, even if Pd is running at a global SR of
48000 Hz.

[readsf~] however would be out of tune. Is there a way to resample
[readsf~]? I seldom use readsf~.

Actually we're becoming on-topic again and should move over
to pd-list. ;)

[1] http://elists.resynthesize.com/linux-audio-users/2005/08/1518782/
[2]
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg11871.html