[PD-ot] Go figure how easy laptop music can be...

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Mar 25 21:19:51 CET 2006

Hallo,
David McCallum hat gesagt: // David McCallum wrote:

> I think I'm missing something, I'm not quite sure what's wrong with this
> article--- but everyone here seems to love ripping into it.

I had the feeling that the interview reduced laptop music to Ableton
Live, Reason and Garageband, and composing to layering loops.

There's nothing wrong with these three programs per se, apart from
them not being free software, but there's so much more to doing music
on a laptop.

And then there are some highlights in this conversation which had me
reach for my handkerchief like this one:

  Q: Is there any difference between composing on a laptop
  and lugging around turntables and records?

  A: It's essentially the same principal.

And I didn't even recognize the spelling mistake until just now.

> But that doesn't make "us" better than him. for many people, those
> commercial software packages are perfect for their needs --- in
> fact, that's what they're designed for. Neither does this make our
> music better than his music. This is like instrument designers
> critiquing players because the players don't make their own
> instruments. There are many people still making great music using
> out-of-the-box hardware, no computers.

Yeah, like this:
http://www.createdigitalmusic.com/images/stories/instant_music.jpg
;-)