[PD-ot] Re: [PD-announce] Invitation to Subscribe: Montreal, NY, Boston, Rome, London, Montenegro, Venice, Bled

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Mar 30 09:33:41 CEST 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> i don't know what i should do exactly.
>> probably search a volunteer for moderating the pd-announce list...
>
> I think the easy way to deal with it is make it members only, with no
> moderator.  No perfect, but you have better things to do.

i don't see a reason for pd-list, pd-dev, pd-ot, pd-cvs and gem-dev to
allow non-members to post.
however, i do feel that pd-announce is often fit for postings that
originate from non-members (like e.g. the final call for DAfx).
then announcements are often time critical (like "deadline today!") -
having to go through the subscription process (which itself only takes a
couple of minutes, but you have to find the time for it) might slow this
down to make announcements outdated before they even appear - otoh, a
moderation process (for each non-subscribed mail) will take a lot more
time than that and it does not guarantee at all that announcments will
be in time...

furthermore, people who _are_ subscribed sometimes post from
non-subscribed email addresses: i enforce them to use multiple email
addresses on lists that allow discussion (non-announcement lists),
because else it would lead to neverending pending moderator requests.
however on the pd-announce i feel that this is an overhead. (but hey!
moderation is an overhead too...)

so anyhow, there is no real necessity to not-restrict any list to
members only; if it is common sense that _all_ lists are members only i
am content with it. i just thought it would be "a service"

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes