[PD-ot] Re: [PD-announce] Invitation to Subscribe: Montreal, NY, Boston, Rome, London, Montenegro, Venice, Bled

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Mon Apr 10 10:20:49 CEST 2006

Hey,

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>Steffen wrote:
>

>>Apropos, it would be very nice if the
>>http://lists.puredata.info/listinfo/pd-* pages explicit stated what the
policy on this subject is.

>ah yes, the current link to the pd-* netiquette is
>http://puredata.info/community/lists/netiquette
>
>i'll have to update the sites at lists.puredata.info
>
>thanks for the reminder.

Im glad to be of any help.

The netiquette page says, among other things, that:
    "Mail from an email address which is not subscribed to the list
won't get through to any of these lists."
But, as i've learned, that does not count for the pd-annouce list. So, i
suggest, either change the netiquette page or the procedure of the
pd-annouce list to match the netiquette page.

This might be the reason why i woundered why the annouce list was open
for all (minus the modaration bit). I can see that some announcements -
that are not either strictly Pd related or send/fwd'ed by a person
subscribed to the list - can be usefull for the pd community, and
therefore will be nice to let through from non-subscribers.

But -- I still think it will be "nice" if it was a member-only
announcment list. A few reasons why:
* It will ease modaration of the list as it will be (allmost [1]) not
needed.
* Not-strict Pd announcments will only be sendt to the list if a member
of the list/community consirder it usefull, and therefor sends it. That
means it is only up to the community/list to decide. I'm aware that can
feel kind of harch, but on the other hand i quite sure that interesting
announcements for the "outside" allways will be discovered, and then
potentianlly sendt to the list.
* Announcements from Pd useres/devs/etc will not be affected as the
sender of this would be subscribers to the list - i assume.

Finally i'd like to state that it would be nice if announcments was  sendt
to the announce list only. I see no reason to cross post. And i  see no
reason to post announcements to the pd-list, since there is an
announcment. I suggest this to be added to the netiquette.

That's it for now. I know that this i not ground-solid arguments, and
that they are based on quite a few loose asumtions. But i hope you
(folks) will atleast consider the points. I allso hope you can read
through my spell errors.

best, steffen

[1] Only case being that descripet in the netiquette page, saying:
    "All mail from email addresses which are not subscribed to the list
will be held for approval by a human being.
    Mail which is considered spam will be discarded (they will silently
vanish). Mail that appears to come from
    someone interested in PD _will be rejected_ and the author will get
a rejection email."