[pd-ot] electric circuits in software

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 25 11:25:26 CEST 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 6:50 PM, hard off wrote:

> how hard is to model electric circuits by software?
>
> what is so inherant in analogue and even digital hardware that makes
> the sound hard to recreate by software?

Its not really that hard to model analogue sound in digital.  But
there is a cult of analog sound which believes that it is.  I mean,
you could measure the difference between the real analog and a high
quality digital recreation, but you couldn't hear it.

> recently i've been trying my hand at circuit bending, and the guts of
> these machines are just a bunch of resistors, capacitors and
> transistors (etc)
>
> surely it isn't too hard to model these by software?
>
> obviously "rebirth" was the most famous analogue modelling software.
> but why isn't there software that just lets you join a bunch of
> resistors, capacitors and transistors to make pretty much real
> analogue synths???

There is, its expensive software used by electronic engineers.  It
even models things like how the heat will be radiated from each
component and how that heat will affect the circuit.  There is
simpler software which you can use for small circuits for free.  Its
called Eagle.

> why isn't every analogue synth ever made already coverted to a
> coded equivalent?

They are many times over, but they are mostly proprietary software.

____

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.
                                             - General Smedley Butler