[pd-ot] electric circuits in software

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Apr 27 05:39:15 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:30:34PM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
> > but then there are many audiophiles that say things like "double-blind
> > tests hide the differences in equipment".
>
> So, basically, they are acknowledging that the differences in equipment
> are due to prejudice, branding, advertisements, colour of the case,
> gadgetism, and corporate/academic equipment procuration policies ;-)

Heheh. One thing I've always wondered about (and I could be about to
highlight my total lack of signal progressing understanding) is the
representation of two waveforms at Nyquist; if you have a squarewave
and a sawtooth wave, both sampled at 44100 and playing at a frequency
of 22050, these waves will both be represented by two samples each,
correct? So when they are sent back into the analogue domain, won't these
two waveforms look identical? Wouldn't they look like exactly the same
sound? On analogue gear, wouldn't it be the case that the exact shape
of the waveforms would be more accurately represented (e.g. a sawtooth
and a squarewave at 22050 would look like such)?

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx