[pd-ot] electric circuits in software

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 28 11:41:20 CEST 2006

On Apr 28, 2006, at 3:30 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 04:20:27PM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 2006, at 8:13 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Chris McCormick wrote:
>> And looking one step before the ear: there are very, very few
>> loudspeakers or headphones that can accurately reproduce 15,000 Hz
>> and above.  So even if you are generating them in analog or digital,
>> they are getting filtered by the speakers long before reaching your
>> ears.
>
> Good point. A quick survey of heaphones available at a local
> electronics
> store reveals that the top end varies between 13kHz and 30kHz. I guess
> speakers are going to have an even more varied response.

Did they tell you in dB range of the frequency response?  My laptop
speakers do 1-1,000,000 Hz (+-100dB).  Obviously, the important part
there is the +-100dB.  Generally, a decent frequency response is
+-3dB.  Many manufacturers use +-6dB because it makes them look much
better.  And many just make up the numbers.

If they don't tell you what the +-dB are, they are probably lying.

____

"Information wants to be free."
                                      -Stewart Brand